Thursday 7 November 2013

Boys.

As a mother of a gorgeous, quiet and careful little girl I was always surprised (and alarmed) when I took her to play gyms and she was rudely buffeted about by little boys as if she was just something in the way. The  apologies from mums as they ran off after their tornado sons felt as if THEY were the ones who wanted sympathy.  "Do something about it!" I would think. "And keep him away from my little girl!"

Then I had a son. And people said things like "Boys will be boys", "Boys are different to girls", and to them I said "No. Not my son. Those are just phrases for parents who have given up. My son will be gorgeous, quiet and careful. He will love his family, and respect others and their feelings". And praises be, that's exactly what he was.

Until about 2 years old.

I should have seen it coming when he fell in love with dinosaurs. His roaring is second to none and he can stomp with terrifying force for someone so skinny. Next it was "Superman!" (which applies to any superhero incidentally) and flying around the room, punching furniture and leaping off sofas.

At this stage I had caught on to what was happening and was trying to reverse it - while still enjoying the sight of my son flowering into a little personality. But no amount of puzzles or books would stop him from raging through the house leaving only devastation. More than once he has made his older sister cry with his power punches and WWF-style tackles. Where did he learn all of this?

I. Do. Not. Know.

He doesn't go to nursery and doesn't have many friends his age. I - now - honestly think it bubbles out of them naturally and then all you give them is a word to pin it to like "Dinosaur roar" or "Superman" and it's chaos from there.

I can't reign him in, he is just too fast. When I tell him off he smiles like he doesn't understand why we are slowing the game down. When he bumps over your daughter at the play gym I am so embarrassed and sorry, believe me! Pity me as I chase after him! And forgive me if I don't bring him back to apologise but I have to have a hierarchy of pain or he would be apologising all day long.

BUT you should also know this: for every parent whose son is a superhero, prehistoric beast or just a little fireball of energy, we are embarrassed when that personality causes you or your little ones any discomfort; but above that we are so, very, very proud.

Not proud for hurting anyone - god forbid.  Proud because our child is confident and wild at heart.  Proud that he doesn't think about consequences before he jumps because he knows jumping itself is such fun. That he seeks adventure and fun, and energy is spinning in him like a nuclear-powered gyroscope. He's strong and he is super and he is ready for anything and to try anything. He'll make a mess and he'll break some things just to see what it's like. He thinks everything is his even if this is the first time he has seen it, he will protect it until it suits him to share. So proud.

Now I am not defending the actively mean kids. You know the kid who take pleasure in other people's pain, but I don't have one of those, so I can't comment, but I am sure their parents have a story too.

I also am not saying that girls can't be this crazy-wild or boys can't be quiet and calm; that is not the point at all. 

The point is: I love my children both quiet and wild, I cannot shape them, I can only try to steer them safely along the path of right and wrong. If I could make them do exactly as I wished I would have two exact copies of me in the world, and god knows I have enough personality flaws to sink a ship, so who would want that??

Keep them safe and set them free.

Except in a store. For that I am truly sorry. That's like a church. No proud feelings there. Truly, truly sorry.

But aside from stores and churches - Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment